Emergency Veterinary Care
Emergency Veterinary Care at Brookhaven Animal Hospital
Daytime Emergency Care
Call or bring your pet in during our regular clinic hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 7:30 am- 12:00 pm & 1:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Wednesday: 7:30 am - 12:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am -12:00 pm
Our veterinarians are able to offer on-call veterinary services for existing clients and patients only.
If you are already a client with us and your pet is experiencing a veterinary emergency outside of regular hours, call us as soon as possible to learn more about your next steps.
Call: (601) 833-1223
Emergency Veterinary Services
If your pet is experiencing any symptoms or behaviors that you are concerned about, contact our office right away. If your pet is experiencing an emergency outside of our regular hours, either contact our hospital for more information or get in touch with the closest emergency veterinary hospital.
The reliable and compassionate team at Brookhaven Animal Hospital offers veterinary care for pets in most emergency situations. Animals are our passion, we take pride in providing quality medical care when your pet needs it most.
Steps to Take In A Pet Emergency
If you are experiencing a veterinary emergency, follow the steps below.
- Call Ahead If Possible - During regular business hours call us right away.
After hours, either contact your closest emergency hospital or, only if you are already an existing client, call us to learn more about our on-call veterinary services.
- Follow Instructions Provided - When you call to let the emergency pet hospital know you are on your way, instructions may be provided to help you apply first aid or otherwise make your pet as comfortable as possible. Follow these instructions carefully.
- Remain Calm - Remain calm and be extra careful around your pet. When an animal is in pain they often react negatively towards anyone trying to help and could bite or scratch.
- Bring Your Pet In For Care - Do not put yourself at risk! Safely bring your pet to our Brookhaven veterinary clinic or contact your closest emergency hospital for after-hours care.
Read through our most frequently asked questions below to learn more about bringing your pet in for an emergency appointment at Brookhaven Animal Hospital.
- Do I need to call ahead?
Brookhaven Animal Hospital provides urgent veterinary care for cats and dogs. During our regular clinic hours, call ahead if possible.
If we are unable to fit your pet into our schedule, we will suggest the closest emergency hospital for you to visit.
- When is your clinic open?
We see emergency cases during regular business hours:
- Monday: 07:30 am - 05:00 pm
- Tuesday: 07:30 am - 05:00 pm
- Wednesday: 07:30 am - 12:00 pm
- Thursday: 07:30 am - 05:00 pm
- Friday: 07:30 am - 05:00 pm
- Saturday: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Sunday: Closed
We are able to offer on-call veterinary services for after-hours veterinary emergencies to our current patients and clients only.
- What situations require emergency veterinary care?
The following are examples of emergencies that need immediate care:
- Severe bleeding or bleeding that doesn't stop
- Obvious signs of pain or extreme anxiety
- Choking, difficulty breathing, or persistent coughing/gagging
- Fractured bones or severe lameness
- Seizures and/or staggering
- Bleeding from nose, mouth, rectum, or blood present in urine
- Inability to urinate or pass feces, or pain associated with said
- Severe vomiting or diarrhea; 2+ episodes in 24-hours
- Injuries to the eye(s)
- Your pet has consumed something toxic (e.g. antifreeze, chocolate, rodent poison, etc.)
- Heat stress or heatstroke
- Refusal to drink for 24 hours or more
- How long will we have to wait to see the vet?
Our Brookhaven animal hospital is very much like a human doctor's office—it can be unpredictable, and you may have to wait.
We cannot anticipate what kinds of cases we will see and when they will arrive. If you are able, we recommend calling ahead to find out if we are able to accommodate an emergency care visit for your pet.
If we are unable to fit an emergency appointment into our vet's schedule we recommend that you visit the 24/7 animal emergency hospital detailed above.
- What happens if my pet needs to stay in the hospital?
Some veterinary emergencies require intensive overnight care. At Brookhaven Animal Hospital we provide overnight care for animals in need.
While in our care, our devoted and compassionate team will treat your pet as if they were our own.
- What types of animals do you treat?
Our emergency veterinarians are mostly experienced with cats and dogs but will see other pets, such as small mammals (e.g. rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters), in serious situations.